pro Fit 6.0 feature list
pro Fit is an application for scientific data and function analysis on the Macintosh. Its main capabilities are:
- A full drawing editor for creating graphs and plots.
- Spreadsheets for storing and manipulated data of arbitrary size.
- Unique fitting capabilities.
- Built-in compiler for customizing and scripting.
- Expandability through plug-ins and Apple Script.
- Fully recordable.
- Ease of use, powerful on-line help.
- Extensive metadata support in pro Fit documents. Ability to categorize them using Smartfolders or to find them through Spotlight in Mac OS 10.4 and later.
Professional drawing, plotting and printing
Create drawings and plots in a powerful drawing editor, draw at zoom factors between 25 and 400% using a wide choice of drawing tools and commands:
- Edit texts with multiple sub- and superscripts and mixed fonts.
- Multiple graphs per page. Multiple axes per graph.
- Freely customizable formats for axes, grids and labels. Axes can have linear, logarithic, probability and 1/x scaling. Inverted axes. Pre- and postfix for labels.
- Style sheets for graphs.
- 'Camera ready' printing quality on PostScript and non-PostScript printers.
- Plot types: functions, scatter plots, bar charts, skyline, boxplots, contour plots, color plots.
- Optional anti-aliasing.
Graphics export formats
- EPS files
- JPEG, GIF, PNG, TIFF
- PICT with embedded POSTSCRIPT, high resolution bitmaps or high resolution vector graphics
- Interactive, powerful curve fitting.
- Fit up to 128 parameters, fit any subset of the parameters.
- Each parameter can be constrained within limits.
- Work with built-in or user defined functions.
- Marquardt-Levenberg, Robust, Polynomial and Monte Carlo algorithms. Automatic initial parameter guessing, including peak finders for Gaussian, Lorentzian and Voigt peaks.
- Linear Regression.
- Error analysis using covariance matrices or statistical methods.
- Data can have y- as well as x-errors.
- Unique manual fitting: Click and drag a function's curve when varying it's parameters.
Editing and transforming data
- Spreadsheets with up to 16 millions of rows and columns.
- Data types: numerical, text, date, time.
- Built-in commands for statistics, transformation and data processing.
- Linear and non-linear transformations, FFT, sorting, data reduction, binning, gridding and more.
- User definable data transformation algorithms.
- Data can be viewed and edited graphically.
Importing and exporting data
- Import and export through text files or Drag and Drop.
- Automatic conversion of most common data formats.
- Manual conversion for custom data formats.
- Plug-ins for importing data from various applications, such as Igor, Kaleidagraph, HDF, or JCAMP-DX .
User defined functions and programs
- User defined functions for fitting, analysis and plotting.
- User defined programs for data transformations and scripting.
- Support for complex numbers, strings and characters.
- Powerful, easy-to-learn Pascal-like definition syntax with multiple statements, loops, variables, and subroutines.
- Commands for accessing data, fitting, loading and saving files, drawing and more.
- Built-in compiler for translating definitions into fast machine language.
- Source level debugger for developing complex programs and functions.
Automatic recording of all your actions for generating a program or Apple Script to be replayed later.
Externally defined functions and programs
- Add plug-ins written with XCode, CodeWarrior or Apple Script
- Manual or automatic linking
Powerful predefined plug-in modules and programs
- 3D-plotting (based on OpenGL)
- Polar plots, vector plots, ternary plots
- Pie charts
- Extensive, interactive on-line help based on Apple Help Viewer for using and programming pro Fit.
- Help tags.
- Intuitive, easy-to-learn user interface.
Unique "Preview" window
- View your data and functions immediately.
- Click and drag a function for varying its parameters.
- Click and drag data points for changing them.
The "Preview" window is of particular significance since it brings a new visual, "real-time" method for evaluating the effect of parameter values on data or a function. The value of a function paramter can be changed graphically by dragging the functuion curve. Markers can be used to obvserve the coordinates of data points or functions.
Support of MacOS 8.6 through MacOS X
pro Fit 6.0 runs on MacOS 10.3 or better. pro Fit 5.5 and 5.6 are still available for user older versions of the MacOS.
- Enhanced syntax for defining programs and functions.
- Extensive Apple Script support.
- `Drag and Drop' data, text and pictures between pro Fit's windows and between applications.
- Multiple preferences files for multi-user environments.
- Optimization algorithms.
- Statistical analysis.
- pro Fit supports the MacOS X Services menu and handles text- and image-related services for text, data and drawing windows.